The First Homes Scheme is designed to help first time buyers get on the property ladder.
First time buyers can look for new homes in their area that are advertised by developers as part of the First Homes scheme and can then apply to the council to be part of the scheme, receiving a discount on the purchase price.
Developers offer these homes to first-time buyers with a 30% to 50% discount of the purchase price, meaning for some their dream home finally becomes affordable.
You must be:
- 18 or older
- a first-time buyer
- able to get a mortgage for at least half the price of the home
- buying the home as part of a household where total income is no more than £80,000 (or £90,000 if you live in London)
The First Homes scheme is only available in England.
The homes cannot cost more than £420,000 in London, or £250,000 anywhere else in England, after the discount has been applied. You can only sell the home to someone who is eligible to buy a First Home. You must give them the same percentage discount that you got, based on the home’s market value at the time of sale.
- The home can be:
- a new home built by a developer
- a home you buy from someone else who originally bought it as part of the scheme
The local council may also set some eligibility conditions. For example, some councils may prioritise giving First Homes discounts to:
- essential workers
- people who already live in the area
- those on lower incomes